This recipe comes from southeastern of Turkey. It is very popular and delicious. Maybe it is a kind of hard to make though, in Turkey, every woman wants to learn how to prepare this dish.
It has a variety of prepare, some people put some nuts and different spices in meat filling. Some only steam it, some of them steam and then deep fry it.
I usually only steam it, because it is healthier in this way and in my hometown it is just steamed not fried.
1 cup bulgur (smallest cracked wheat)
1/3 cup semolina
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup water
1 tbsp pepper paste
1 pound minced beef
1 big onion finely chopped
Salt, black pepper
2-3 tbsp margarine or butter
1 tbsp pepper paste
½ tsp cumin powder
Oil to fry
1. We will start with filling. In a sauce pan, Put margarine, let it melt and add chopped onion. Sauté until onion gets golden brown.
2. Add pepper paste and ground beef, spices, stir to combine. Let that simmer for 10-15 minutes.
3. Put chopped parsley and turn the heat off. Set aside to cool down.
4. Put filling in refrigerator for a few hours to chill.
5. Meanwhile, to make wheat dough, put all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and knead that well for about 25 minutes.
6. If necessary add a little more water to bulgur dough, because the dough should be smooth and elastic to be able to give shape.
7. Grab some dough as big as golf ball and give it an egg shape by holding in your left hand.
8. Wet your right hand index finger with water and make a little hole in the center of the ball like hollow.
9. By turning the ball in your hand, make the ball like thin shell. Put 1 tbsp filling and close the edges together by sealing with your fingers evenly.
10. They are supposed to be nice and firm. If they tend to be broken while you are trying to give a shape, then start it again all over. They must be unbroken otherwise they will crack up and go to pieces.
11. Fill 3-4 cups water in a deep pan and when it comes to boil, put koftes a few at a time and boil for 20 minutes.
12. After you drained them, put some cooking oil in a skillet and fry them before serving.
It makes approximately 15 icli kofte for 3 servings.